Author Topic: Hornby Nest Discussion 2009 - 2010  (Read 722465 times)

Offline Doug

Re: Hornby Nest Discussion
« Reply #1605 on: May 17, 2010, 11:43:35 AM »
When we bought our property in 1980, (30 years ago) the top of the nest tree looked exactly the same as it does today.  It didn't have a nest in it then - not until 1989.  We rarely get lightning around here so most likely the trunk had a degree of rot in it and broke off in a wind storm.

Offline skyeye

« Reply #1606 on: May 17, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
And it's a Douglas fir?, I'm just guessing...

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #1607 on: May 17, 2010, 01:26:34 PM »
Yes, it is a Douglas-fir.  Here is a view of the tree from the ground.  

http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=221.0

I think the nest is 125 feet above the ground, out of sight from below.

Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline Roanna

« Reply #1608 on: May 17, 2010, 01:56:23 PM »
I've just checked to see if anyone else saw what I just did ... Phoenix was walking!  The view was from above so maybe she was balancing on her elbows/wrists whatever, but posture sure looked like she was walking!  I feel like a proud grandma ...

:clap :clap :clap

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1609 on: May 17, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
That's great news!  I noticed that Phoenix, Sidney Nest, just started walking, too.
Jean, California

Offline radiotrash

« Reply #1610 on: May 17, 2010, 02:41:54 PM »
Wow!  I am astonished at how much Phoenix has grown since Friday afternoon!  This is just remarkable to watch.  :ecinnocent

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1611 on: May 17, 2010, 02:46:23 PM »
Doug & the webcam made the Edmonton Journal today!

Click here for article

In a couple of the comments under the article they are saying the cams put off radiation, i've never heard of this. :puzzled2
I wouldn't think they do.

Offline radiotrash

« Reply #1612 on: May 17, 2010, 03:10:52 PM »
I noticed  Dad (I think) pulling old fish from within the nest and feeding it to Phoenix and nibbling himself.  Does their prey ever get too...er...ripe for them to consume safely, or are their digestive systems equipped to handle the bacteria?

Offline Raptorman

• The Eagles of White Rock
« Reply #1613 on: May 17, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »
In a couple of the comments under the article they are saying the cams put off radiation, i've never heard of this. :puzzled2
I wouldn't think they do.

It's simply not true. The cameras use one or more charge coupled devices to convert light engergy into electrical energy. The circuits in the cameras are simple low voltage timing circuits. The only radiation would be infra-red light in the night vision cameras, and it's not ionizing radiation. It's the same as the infra-red LEDs used in a television remote control. Nothing to be concerned about.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #1614 on: May 17, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »
I noticed  Dad (I think) pulling old fish from within the nest and feeding it to Phoenix and nibbling himself.  Does their prey ever get too...er...ripe for them to consume safely, or are their digestive systems equipped to handle the bacteria?

The eagle's stomach is very acidic, and kills most, if not all, bacteria.

You might find the FAQ on our website a helpful resource:  http://www.hornbyeagles.com/eaglefaq.htm

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #1615 on: May 17, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »
This afternoon was a good photo op for close-ups of our growing eaglet.  :eclove

all images copyright Doug Carrick

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1616 on: May 17, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »
I like the furtive look in the bottom photo, Nancy
Jean, California

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1617 on: May 17, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
It's simply not true. The cameras use one or more charge coupled devices to convert light engergy into electrical energy. The circuits in the cameras are simple low voltage timing circuits. The only radiation would be infra-red light in the night vision cameras, and it's not ionizing radiation. It's the same as the infra-red LEDs used in a television remote control. Nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks Raptorman for clarifying, it sounded off the wall. :ecsmile

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1618 on: May 17, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »
Nancy, great photos of Phoenix.  Mum and Dad may hire an agent soon to handle all the photo ops  :eclol

It was a warm afternoon at the nest. Phoenix was seen panting and it appeared no position was comfortable.  Mid you he was also contending with Midshipman flopping around.  Mum dropped one off about 2 pm

2:07 pm ~ the fish can be seen on Phoenix's left side

2:08 pm ~ the fish moved and startled Phoenix

2:10 pm  ~ Phoenix is doing his best to stay cool

2:08 pm ~ this is after Mum dropped off the fish and it startled Phoenix when it moved.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7eAoTbcLg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7eAoTbcLg</a>

2:17 pm ~ Phoenix is panting as it is a warm afternoon. Phoenix lies down near the log, gets up and preens his feathers. Then at about 1 min. into the video the fish moves again. We know they can live for some time out of the water. but ☺
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpAnkyLCR00" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpAnkyLCR00</a>

Doug Carrick 2010
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline teacherlady

« Reply #1619 on: May 17, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »
I don't mean any disrespect, but I think Phoenix looks a lot like Gonzo from the Muppets!   :biggrin3