Author Topic: Hornby Nest Discussion 2009 - 2010  (Read 722490 times)

Offline passerine

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Re: Hornby Nest Discussion
« Reply #1410 on: May 05, 2010, 04:00:50 PM »
Very happy you get to get a tiny piece of nature amongst the concrete  :ecsmile & a big hello to your daughter in Korea too.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #1411 on: May 05, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
Dad feeds Phoenix  around 4:00 PM

all done!

All images copyright Doug Carrick

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #1412 on: May 05, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »
What a wonderful "baby book" of  :heart  Phoenix  :heart is being created here.  Thank you to those making such wonderful screen caps and videos.  :biggrin3
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline beans

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1413 on: May 05, 2010, 07:43:55 PM »
Very sweet pictures, Nancy  :eclove
Jean, California

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #1414 on: May 05, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
No shortage of pictures of Phoenix Pheeding.

This was 4 hours later (I might have missed a feeding or two, LOL) , around 8 PM.   Phoenix was stuffed even before the feeding.

before

during

Later, Dad made 3 deliveries of herring. Doug then reported that Dad was in the Peters' Tree and caught some more fish and ate them himself.

all images copyright Doug Carrick.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #1415 on: May 05, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »
Mom on the nest, Dad just about to leave after last herring delivery

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1416 on: May 05, 2010, 09:41:18 PM »
Good evening, Nancy and I were visiting the Hornbys at the same time  :chuckle.
'Phoenix Pheeding' - I love it  :eclol    Such beautiful light there at this time of the evening.

This snap of Mum was from 8:09 p.m. just before Dad arrived with more herring fro Mum and Phoenix

With Dad. His visit could be called 'Drop and Leave'.  :ecsmile  And Nancy and I played 'Snap' with the the photos as dad was ready to leave.

The following snaps (in sequence) I took from the video to follow. 'Dad in Flight'

A half second before or after the last one

Interesting that Doug said Dad flew to the Peters' Tree - as that is what I suggested on the caption for Flickr :eclol

'Drop and Leave' - Dad arrived with herring for Mum and Phoenix and flew off into the evening.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCKIG-gmxKI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCKIG-gmxKI</a>
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1417 on: May 05, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »
I snapped this at 8:47 p.m. after Dad had brought the last gift of herring. I thought that the small grey patch in front of Mum's left wing might my Phoenix. I guess it was as when I returned Phoenix was being fed ~ ~ herring  :eclol

8:53 p.m. During the feed

The last few minutes and actions by Mum after feed about 8:45 p.m. Phoenix has a full crop. Mum does some nestoration and digging in the cup.  Phoenix isn't too keen on going to bed, but Mum prevails.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVk2biy491M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVk2biy491M</a>

Sleep well little Phoenix - you will be one week old when you get up. How you have grown in that week. And developed a personality and almost done with peeps and are now chirping.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline sparkie

• HEGPS
« Reply #1418 on: May 06, 2010, 04:43:05 AM »
:ecloveThank you all .These pictures  are  wonderful  .A beautiful album  of  the  first  week  of  pnoenix 's life :heart

Offline Gord

« Reply #1419 on: May 06, 2010, 12:59:06 PM »
Just started watching the eagles - amazing. IN the background it sounds like there is a piece of heavy equipment working - is this possible? Any idea what it is?

Offline Roanna

« Reply #1420 on: May 06, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »
Thanks all for all the videos, this is only the second time I've been able to get on the website.  I tried during the obvious ALERT the other night, after having heard what sounded like a huge flock of crows earlier.  I'm glad I'm on now.    I tried several times, the one time I got on I tried to post but connection timed out and I couldn't get back on.  I've been watching every day, just enchanted and absolutely in love with our beautiful, precocious Phoenix.  So much personality from the very start!  I personally think Echo has returned to fulfill the life so abruptly taken from her.  Great parents, great life, beautiful place to live, and millions of people to adore her.  

:grouphug2

Edited for correction and to add:  I was able to get on whenever I wanted for a long time, since the arrival of eggs and now Phoenix is the time period I could not get on.

Offline Ti-Bob

« Reply #1421 on: May 06, 2010, 03:05:24 PM »
Hello all ... I'm new to this site except I've spent many hours in the past three days watching the activity on the nest. Thank you everyone concerned. I'm from NWOnt where we have eagles as well. In fact we have a active nest in view about 150 metres from our camp (cottage for SOnt and chalet for la belle province). I'm used to watching from below but this is special to watch from above.

I'm curious about the machinery noise we've heard most of the day. They can't be drilling for oil. ;) I also wonder what delay is normal for the second egg to hatch. If it goes too long it won't have much of a chance. Is fratricide an expectation in large raptors?

best wishes from the shores of Lake Superior

Offline Raptorman

• The Eagles of White Rock
« Reply #1422 on: May 06, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »
Welcome Roanna and Bob!

Roanna: Since the CBC Interviews with Doug Carrick and since the arrival of Phoenix there has been a lot of traffic on our Web server. We have made some adjustments that will help, and tonight we will be moving the forums onto a new server. If everything goes smoothly you should have no future problems getting onto the site by tomorrow and page loads should be faster.

Bob: They're drilling a water well on a lot across the street and to the left (from the camera perspective.)
The drilling may take a week or more. We may be hearing construction noises as well. There is a partially completed house in the area of the drilling and there have been some renovations being done to a house that is behind the nest. I'm not an ornithologist so I won't try to answer your question about the fraticide numbers. Someone here will most likely be along soon who can better answer that question - or you can try joining the WildEarth Hornby chat and AJL, Ostrich, Nancy, or one of the other experts may be able to answer your question.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
« Reply #1423 on: May 06, 2010, 05:02:25 PM »
I also wonder what delay is normal for the second egg to hatch. If it goes too long it won't have much of a chance. Is fratricide an expectation in large raptors?

Bob, welcome to the forum!  

I also am not an ornithologist (my field is marine benthic community ecology), but I have learned a bit  from AJL and from watching some other eagle species in Europe.

The normal range for a bald eagle egg to hatch is 35-39 days, and at this point we do not expect the other egg to hatch. If the unhatched egg is the first one that was laid, it would be 47 days old today; if it is the second one that was laid, it is 43 days old. Chances are that this egg was not fertilized. We are waiting and watching to see what happens  - will the parents remove it? will it  decay? At the moment it appears to be providing wing support for little Phoenix.

This eagle species (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) does not practice obligate fratricide (also called siblicide or  cainism - the latter term is a reference to Cain and Abel). Reports of this occurring in bald eagles appear to be erroneous (as far as I am aware).  However, obligate cainism is well studied in several other genera and species, including the lesser spotted eagle (Aquila pomarina), which is found in European countries including Latvia and Estonia. There are webcams focused on nests there (not for the faint of heart during the early days of hatching season, I can tell you!).  I have not read the literature on this behavior, but I understand it also occurs in some species of pelicans, owls, and cranes.

Offline Roanna

« Reply #1424 on: May 07, 2010, 12:37:45 PM »
Welcome Roanna and Bob!

Roanna: Since the CBC Interviews with Doug Carrick and since the arrival of Phoenix there has been a lot of traffic on our Web server. We have made some adjustments that will help, and tonight we will be moving the forums onto a new server. If everything goes smoothly you should have no future problems getting onto the site by tomorrow and page loads should be faster.

Thanks so much, Raptorman, that is great news and, indeed, today I am right on it.  It was so frustrating, wanting to check on things and not being able to, I'll be able to do so now.  It was strange, after so many years of watching the nests and taking part in great conversations, especially on the occasions where something unusual is going on!  Like being deaf or something ...

I didn't know about the Doug Carrick interview (since I haven't been on the website to keep up with news), is it available somewhere?  I'd love to see it.