Author Topic: Hornby Nest Discussion 2009 - 2010  (Read 722477 times)

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
Re: Hornby Nest Discussion
« Reply #1275 on: April 27, 2010, 04:36:50 PM »
Hi Artist,

Here is the link to the forum Tutorials threads:   http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?board=6.0

The noise you hear is the clean-up going on because of the number of trees and branches damaged during the recent storms.  There are trained, professional people who are hired by the owners of the properties and they are doing necessary work to remove dangers and get rid of the debris.  The nest tree is protected by Canadian laws and the owners of that tree care very much about the eagles.

Also, Doug and Sheila Carrick keep a close eye on the nest and the eagles, using their live cams (that we watch) and his telescope and binoculars.   :nod2
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline artist

• Brigid's Broom Closet
« Reply #1276 on: April 27, 2010, 04:55:40 PM »
That is so nice to know. I was worried that someone may have thought it a nice logging area and couldn't care less about the birds and other wild life. I am so sick and tired of companies destroying natural area's and taking homes away from the animals.
To some I'm a dream to others, a nightmare.

Offline Blue

• HEG
« Reply #1277 on: April 27, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »
There are laws here that prevent removal of trees around an eagle nest so that won't happen.

Earth speaks through wilderness.
We still have a moment to listen.

Offline cwelsh

« Reply #1278 on: April 27, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »
I'm not sure if this is how to post a comment/question.This is my first time visiting a forum so here goes.I am an ex Vancouver Islander transplanted to Quebec and I have to say how amazing it is to be able to see the eagles again.I notice that the camera angle is from above and farther from the nest.Are there two cameras or has the one been moved? Just curious.Thanks to those who have done an amazing job of allowing us to see these amazing creatures close up without disturbing them.  

Offline Eagle_Lover

« Reply #1279 on: April 27, 2010, 06:22:19 PM »
'Witch' and 'Eagle_Lovers', hello and welcome to the Forum,

I believe there are several videos on YouTube related to that sad day at Hornby. That was the first year Doug brought us the cam with Mum and Dad; which was 2006; not 2007.

10:36 a.m. Dad is busy doing 'nestorations at the moment. I am sure Mum will have a hissy fit on her return.

10:39 a.m. dad is still moving around. here we can see one of the two eggs.

Enjoy

yes I know it was 2006... I have them all in hancock media.. :) :biggrin3 thank you for the welcome.... im so excited I can't wait for the peep.. then the hatch... :biggrin3
I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky.

Offline Eagle_Lover

« Reply #1280 on: April 27, 2010, 06:24:30 PM »
Doug flashing his porch lights  :biggrin3

Thanks Beans Thats neat how Doug says goodnight.... thank you for sharing..
I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky.

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #1281 on: April 27, 2010, 06:29:37 PM »
I'm not sure if this is how to post a comment/question.This is my first time visiting a forum so here goes.I am an ex Vancouver Islander transplanted to Quebec and I have to say how amazing it is to be able to see the eagles again.I notice that the camera angle is from above and farther from the nest.Are there two cameras or has the one been moved? Just curious.Thanks to those who have done an amazing job of allowing us to see theses amazing creatures close up without disturbing them. 

Welcome, cwelsh!  Glad you can enjoy eagles once again.  Doug Carrick (the cam owner) can switch the view of the nest between a wide-angle and a close-up cam. 
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline cwelsh

« Reply #1282 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:45 PM »
Welcome, cwelsh!  Glad you can enjoy eagles once again.  Doug Carrick (the cam owner) can switch the view of the nest between a wide-angle and a close-up cam. 

Thanks for the info on the cameras. I have been amazed by the quality of the close up camera and have found it quite addictive to sit and watch the eagles.I'm sure it won't be long until we see some chicks breaking out.A la prochain.

Offline artist

• Brigid's Broom Closet
« Reply #1283 on: April 27, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »
Hi cwelsh,

Like you I am very addicted to the eagle cam and can't wait for the chicks to start coming out. I am sure I will get some good sketches of them also. As Bald Eagles are not seen in my neck of the woods it is great for me to see close ups of them. Thanks Doug and Sheila for putting up this wonderful cam so we can all see these magnificent birds.

To some I'm a dream to others, a nightmare.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #1284 on: April 27, 2010, 09:00:42 PM »
Hello cwelsh or bonsoir et bienvenue to Hornby.  If you check out this area of the forum you will find information pertaining to the eagles life cycle the reproduction cycle, terms that have been coined for their actions, updates from Doug etc. etc.

Still no pip.

Mum is on the nest. She seems a little sleepy.  I took these at snaps at 8:18 p.m and 8:19 p.m.

8:47 p.m. Mum starts to move a branch and thinks twice.

8:54 p.m. Almost dark on the island and Mum is asleep ~ sleep well Mum :sleep

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline CasuallyCool

« Reply #1285 on: April 28, 2010, 07:03:25 AM »
Thanks to all who made this site possible.  I had the oppurtunity to view a similar site last year of bald eagles nesting somewhere in Florida.  Can't wait for the hatchings.

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #1286 on: April 28, 2010, 07:04:59 AM »
Wednesday April 28

6:34 A.M. Nest time.  Mom and Dad did not switch places this morning as they usually do. Many of us thought we heard little tiny peeps during the early morning hours. Finally, when Mom got up and rolled the eggs at 6:34, we all saw what appeared to be a pip hole and heard cheeping!

Hotspot by boonibarb:  Pip & Peep

Screenshot by eagleluver (from the chat room)

all images copyright Doug Carrick

Offline Jean

« Reply #1287 on: April 28, 2010, 07:28:53 AM »
What a happy day!!  :clap

Offline Eagle_Lover

« Reply #1288 on: April 28, 2010, 08:05:23 AM »
What a happy day!!  :clap
Now that was a peep at 8:03am when Mom flew back in on the nest.. yep we will have our eaglet soon.. happy days are here.. yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Offline CasuallyCool

« Reply #1289 on: April 28, 2010, 08:19:16 AM »
I hear chainsaws.