Author Topic: Lion Prides and Coalitions  (Read 71608 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Nkuhuma Males
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 02:09:50 AM »
The previous dominant males were known as 'Blondie' (killed in Dec. 2007 by the Mapogos) and 'Dozie', who in late 2010 was still alive. But I've not read anything about him since then.

This short history is from Facebook Timeline for Nkuhuma Male Lions.

About.
Two surviving Sons of Blondie and Dozie, the former pride males of the Nkuhuma Pride of Lions. Born 2007.

Biography
Nkuhuma males also known as Djuma males by some.

We are the only known male survivors of the 20 plus cubs born to the Nkuhuma Pride during 2007. Our natal pride was a large one. Ten lionesses, two dominant males, and a sub adult male entered the Djuma area of Sabi Sands during the latter part of 2006. Originally from Buffleshoek/Manyeleti.

Most of the 20 plus cubs were born the first half of 2007. Our pride was known as buffalo hunters and even taking down Giraffe when the opportunity arose. In December of 2007, one of the dominant males, Blondie, was killed by the Mapogo male lions. Attacks on the remaining pride and cubs during the first half of 2008 devastated our pride. Many cubs fell victim to the attacks as did some of the adult lionesses too. The pride took refuge back up North and became splintered.

Since becoming independent, we are seen in and around Djuma, Chitwa Chitwa, Simbambili, Arathusa, Nkorho, Elephant Plains, & Ottawa. We are non territorial at this time but not for long we hope.

This photo was one I took of one of the males on Sept. 5, 2010. He was with the Styx Pride at buffalo kill. Which was very interesting to watch.

:nod2
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:54:50 PM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Gijima Males
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 03:14:48 AM »
Gijima males

We first saw these two handsome brothers in 2010/2011. They appeared occasionally after that. One great sighting was in Feb. 2011 when they were with the two of the three Nkuhuma lionesses. The 4th was likely off with the cubs.

This information is from the Facebook Timeline for the Gijima Males.
We are two brothers. We currently roam Buffelshoek, Manyeleti and Northern Sabi Sand. Estimated age 6 to 8 yrs.

Feb. 14, 2011: we saw them with the three of the four Nkuhuma Pride lionesses HERE.

Feb. 26, 2011: #788, HERE I wrote:
In the past week, a Gijima male and a young cub dug under the fence around the Manyeleti Reserve killed a farmer's cow.  They were darted and returned to the reserve.

Feb. 25, 2011: they again dug under the fence and got out of the reserve. I am sad to report they were shot and killed.  The Gijima's are the lions who have mated with Nkuhuma Pride.
 :ecsad

Today April 15, 2012:
1. Diane Adsit a member on the FB page for the Djuma Private Game Reserve gave me the link to article about the incident which likely ties in with dropping of borders to allow animals more room to move in.
http://safaritalk.net/topic/6379-south-africa-conservation-reality-in-the-manyeleti-greater-kruger-area/

2. I found a blog witten by Jurie Moolman (DPGR) on FB page 'Lions of Sabi Sands'. Remembering the Gijima Male Lions - 2011.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:54:07 PM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Sandy Patch Lioness and Son Xanseki
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 05:07:02 PM »
Sandy Patch Lioness and Son Xanseki

From Wildearth.tv's cast of African players.

Sandy Patch Lioness by WildEarth, on Flickr

We started out as a pride of two adult lionesses. Then my Sister, Brother and I came along.

I am the last one left of my pride. Mostly known as the Lone Sandy Patch female or "Salawexe" the one who was left alone. I have been on my own since my Sister was killed by the Nkuhuma Pride in early December 2006. Her cubs couldn't survive without her and though I tried to protect and care for mine, they too did not survive.

Late last year there was hope I wouldn't be alone any longer. I bore 3 cubs sired by the Manyeleti male(s)! 2 have been lost but 1 male cub remains.

Sadly, the Sandy Patch female and her cub were doing poorly the first part of 2010 and after not being seen for a number of months, are presumed dead. If indeed true, Sandy Patch's struggles as a lone lioness are over.

We sometimes hear that someone thinks they have seen Sandy Patch's son but   :question

Note: I just found 'luvthebirds' beautiful poem and photos of Sandy Patch and her cub Xanseki HERE on Jan. 6, 2010

Thank you Luv so much for sharing those beautiful images with us. :ecsmile
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:51:41 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Manyeleti Males / Manyeleti Male Lions of 2008.
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »
Manyeleti Males (Young) aka Manyeleti Male Lions of 2008

The Manyeleti Males have a long history. The following is only part of it. The rest may be read at Manyleti Males (Young). Written by Colleen Holland (Aquila) and Karen in VA.

There are some great photos of the lions included.

Manyeleti Males (Young)- distinguished as "young" due the many lions/prides/coalitions over the past decades being known by the name of Manyeleti.

Information gathered from sighting reports and/or newsletters from Djuma and Nkorho.

These males first appeared on Djuma in July 2008 coming from the North (Manyeleti).

Their history is unknown. Two very large young male lions estimated to be approximately 4 +/- years in age and more than likely brothers. Both sported fairly light colored manes with one having a fuller and more mature mane than the other. . They were virtually scar free and it was assumed they had recently been pushed out of their pride.

Frequently venturing more and more into Djuma and neighboring reserves over the next months, they were seen in the company of two lionesses from Nkuhuma Pride and mating with the one known as Snaggletooth. They also spent time with the lone Sandy Patch lioness who currently has 3 cubs believed to be sired by one of the Manyeleti males.

In early January 2009, reports came in that these two magnificent males had been in a fight sometime around Jan 3rd/4th. Speculations were that the Mapogos and these young males had clashed. This altercation happened near the Mala Mala/Kruger boundary South of Nkorho. One of the Manyeleti brothers was said to have been killed, however a few days later, both of the Manyeleti males were seen alive. The one with the immature mane though had been severely injured with his right back leg badly broken.

Added Aug. 18, 2013 from their FB page 'Manyeleti Male Lions of 2008'.

We came into the Sabi Sands area from Manyeleti. Just like other males that have no established territory, we were called the Manyeleti Males or Brothers. Yes, there were two of us. We were big, strong, good looking and about 4 yrs young.

We enjoyed the Buffelshoek, Djuma, Nkorho areas of Sabi Sands and soon found some females from the Nkuhuma Pride that liked us.

Unfortunately, we ventured too far into the Mapogo Coalition territory and my brother was lethally injured.

Now I roam on my own. Still seen with my favorite Nkuhuma girl, "Snaggletooth" and my lovely Sandy Patch girl who bore 3 Manyeleti cubs.

'Sandy Patch' is presumed to have died in 2009/2010. At that time neither she nor her son were doing well. There is still a ? as towhether her son 'Xanseki' has been seen. A short summary about them is in the post above this one.

'Snaggletooth' died a few months ago, and it appears that the remaining Manyeleti brother has also died.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:15:52 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Tsalala Lion Pride
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2012, 03:35:59 PM »
Seemingly the Tsalala Pride lost some of its members during the horrific January flood.   :eccry
Tsalala Pride Caught in the Raging Torrent.

This link has been added the post about them in this topic at:
http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1088.msg100887#msg100887

There is also good news, that being that the Original Tsalala Tailless Female is Alive.
 :ecsmile

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Matimba Male Lions
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 10:37:07 PM »
Matimba Male Lions

We have seen these lions at least once before. They appeared again recently and may or may not been seen again. I have opted to award them their on post in this topic. :nod2

Profile photo courtesy of Dries Jordaan.

Biography
As of July 2011 - Matimba males first showed up into Manyeleti area about 10 months ago. There are 6 males, the eldest is estimated at about 6yrs. His name is Ndhuna\Stompstert.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

On August 4, 2011 Adam Bannister from Londolozi wrote the following blog:Lion Warfare: Countdown to blood.

His first sentence read:
The stage is now set for the “Battle of The Sands”
 And the rest of his blog is coming to fruition  :nod2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

July 2012 - More photos of the Matimbas when seen at Cheetah Plains Private Game Reserve.

Males x 5

Two males

One male stretches

:biggrin3 and :offtobed
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:32:19 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Lion Prides and Coalitions - Majingilane Lions Coalition
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »
Majingilane Lions Coalition: Post 1 of 3.

Well, better late than never, some information about the Majingilane Lions. On the internet they are referred to as either the Majingilane Male Lions or the Majingilane Lions Coalition. As lions are male I go with the latter (as do many others). In early 2010 we had an occasional glimpse of one or two of the original five in late 2009 when Pieter, etc. were conducting the drives on Djuma.

Biography: With thanks to Syl Yemen on FB and blogs from Londolozi.
The Majingilane male lions are believed to have originated from the Manyelethi Game Reserve, and were part of a pride which had built up a feisty reputation for hunting buffalo. They were known as the Manyelethi-males (with th); but no relation to the Manyeleti Lions.

They were:
  • Born sometime around 2004/2005.
  • By late 2009, the 5 males were forced to leave their natal area and moved south into the Sabi Sands. Here they opted work as a group instead of individually they roamed around like a gang, causing havoc and sending animals, of all species, scattering for safety.
  • First seen in the Djuma area in late 2009.
  • A coalition of 5 until June 8, 2010, when one was killed by the Mapogos.
  • Majingilane means ‘security or marching on the line’.
  • Named by Greg Posthumes from the Djuma Bush Lodge; according to individual distinguishing feature(s):
    • Dark Mane,
    • Black Nose (Smudge),
    • Hip Scar and
    • Three Tooth (aka Scarface/ Golden Mane).

Synopsis of events: The Majingis kept a low profile around Djuma until June 8, 2010 at Nkorho Bush Lodge.
  • On June 8, 2010 Karin van der Merwe (from Nkorho Bush Lodge) reported on a major confrontation between two Mapogos and the five Majingilane Males.
  • In the wee hours of June 8 much roaring of lions was heard in the area.
  • Two of the Mapogos (‘Kinky Tail’ and ‘Mr. T’/ ’Satan’) were nearby, and from out of nowhere appeared five large young male lions.
  • One Majingi was killed by the Mapogos.
  • June 9 evening, (after resting all day) the remaining four Majingis returned and exacted revenge by killing and devouring ‘Kinky Tail’.
  • ‘Mr. T.’ then arrived and was severely mauled by the Majingis and limping, made a speedy exit.
  • He did survive his injuries and lived for a short time.

With the Mapogos gone, the four Majingilane Males became undisputed landlords of the area, and continue to be so. They have sired many cubs with the females of the various lion prides including:
  • Sparta,
  • The original Tsalala, and
  • Now the Munghen Pride, who were known as the 'Break-away Tsalala'.

:v  this post took some time with the bulleting; I had to play around and see what worked to get it correct.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
Majingilane Lions Coalition: Post 2 of 3.

After reviewing several blogs by Adam Bannister who at the time of the events was at the Londolozi Game Reserve I have opted to post this 15 minute video posted Jan.16, 2012. It is an extremely good synopsis of the events since June 8, 2010. Their dominance in the area is well documented including their took over of the Tsalala and Sparta females. Majingilane – The Story of Lion Warfare.
Warning During the minute 2:30 - 3:30 the video does show (not too close) and slightly blurred  Majingis with 'Kinky Tail' after they killed him on June 9, 2010.

If you prefer a better view the video is also on YouTube at:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n5Pbe2w_IE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n5Pbe2w_IE</a>

Other blogs you may be interested in reading are:
In the March 2011 blog you may opt to skip the 3rd video as repeat of scene from the 15 minute video above. BUT the last video shows each of the Manjingis individually. On YouTube as well at:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GesWjfSQmEc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GesWjfSQmEc</a>

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 11:17:34 PM »
Majingilane Lions Coalition: Post 3 of 3.

Photos of the four Majingilane lions.

Golden Mane (Three Toothed) by Marlon Du Toit at Singita

Dark Mane by Stu Porter for Photographic Safaris. He also has many scars on his face.

Scar Nose by Tally Smith of Londolozi

Hip Scar From one of Londolozi's blogs

The Brothers Four by Gary Hill.

Two of the brothers, with one of the Munghen Pride (Break away Tsalala pride) and cubs. Aug. 2013 at Chitwa Chitwa by Neil Jennings.

:thumbup:

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Lion Pride - Tsalala/Marthly
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 09:08:15 PM »
Tsalala/Marthly Pride

As I write this, (March, 2012) it appears that the pride consists of seven members (3 adult lionesses, and 4 sub adult females).  The sub adult females are the daughters of 'BB' (the tailless female)

The Tsalala pride has been around since the late 1990’s. In years gone by the pride, when on Mala Mala was known as the Marthly Pride. Their roots come from the same original pride as the Roller Coaster/Shaw/Castleton Males. And various male lions have sired cubs with them.

In 1997, 2 females broke away from their original pride of the Castletons aka Ximungwe Pride. They became known as the Tsalala Pride named after the Tsalala Pan they frequented early on. These two Tsalala Lionesses mated with the 5 West Street/Sparta males (who also sired the Mapogos) and produced 7 cubs early in 1998. Sadly, only 2 cubs survived a male and a female. Eventually the male was killed by poachers leaving only the female cub that is the oldest of the Tsalala Pride today known as 'BB'.  

'BB', the oldest surviving lioness has no tail (many years ago it was bitten of by a hyena; while she was fighting off a clan of them.) 'BB' is the mother of
  • Two adult females (they had 6 cubs, but only one is live.)
  • The Tsalala male known as 'Solo' that has been accepted into the Eyrefield Pride. BB spent a lot of energy keeping him alive and clashing with one of the Mapogos that wanted to be rid of him. Many times his older sisters kept him with them and provided him with meals and safety.
  • Two sub adult daughters gave birth to 8 cubs between March through May 2009.
  • These cubs were sired by the two Mapogo males known as Kinky Tail and Mr. T.
  • Died in mid August, 2013. More information may be found starting HERE.

In November of 2010 they met up with the Majingilane males in Londolozi, where it was reported that they had killed the half tail sub-adult female; after finding her on the carcass that the Majingis were on.

In 2011 we saw them on Djuma drives on:
  • June 18/19.
  • Sept. 19 in early morning when 3 or 4 of the cubs seen on the wall at Gowrie Dam.
  • Oct. 15, morning drive with Seb (and Tara on cam) we were treated to seeing 6 of the cubs on the wall at Twin Dams. The other two were outside the Djuma Gate.

References:
Photos from fall of 2011:
Oct. 15 Five females, all napping.

In this photo the lioness with her back to the camera is the one known as 'BB'

Nov. 24

Video from June 18, 2011:  added March 19, 2011 / BBE
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxPEjf7RbXk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxPEjf7RbXk</a>

Update February 29, 2012 - Unfortunately the pride seemingly has lost some members as a result of the severe Janaury floods. Tsalala Pride Caught In The Raging Torrent.    :ecsad

April 5, 2012 Good news from Londolozi Original Tsalala Tailless Female is Alive. That would be 'BB'. The pride had been laying low for a week or so after, and BB had a 'nasty enounter' that left her with a few scars.

Aug. 24, 2013  In late 2011, early 2012 the Tsalala/Marthly pride split tinto two units. BB's four daughtersleft and became known as the 'Tsalala/Breakaway Pride'. With the Majingis they have 8 adorable cubs. In mid summer 2013 they weere renamed as the 'Mhangeni Pride' (sometimes spelled 'Munghen'.)

Note: See the next post of bio etc. on the Mhangeni Pride.

:eclove

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Lion Prides: Mhangeni (Taslala/Breakaway Pride)
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »
I just remembered that on Aug. 13 I posted news from Chitwa Chitwa (in the topic 'News from Other Reserves' about the 'Tsalala/Breakaway Pride'.  A few weeks ago they were renamed (yet again  :mhihi) as the 'Mhangeni Pride' (Tsalala Breakaway)

We've met and known of the Tsalala Pride for some time. This is the pride whose matriach was known as 'BB; the Tailless Female.' She was in scuffle with a hyena some years ago and lost her tail.  She recently died at the age of 15.  One of the four lionesses is sometimes referred to as the 'Younger Tailless Female'. She has a stub left of her tail, which she also lost due to a scuffle with a hyena.

• Sometime in late 2011 or early 2012:
  • Four of the lionesses broke away from the main group and they became known as the 'Tsalala/Breakaway Pride'.
  • They were the daughters of the old (as opposed to the younger) tailless female known as 'BB'.
  • Since the split the four females have been mating with one or more of Majingilane Males (who I have added to this topic, three posts starting HERE.

Anyhooooo - - - - - on Aug. 12 they were seen at Chitwa Chitwa. Neil Jennings (Field Guide) posted some awesome photos.

Here we see three of the lioness' and the tail end of one of Majingis.

One lioness, cubs and the tailend of one of the Majingis

One sleeping lioness and a couple of adorable cubs  :eclove

Two lovable cubs

More to follow > > > >  :ecsmile
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:04:57 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Lion Prides and Coalitions - Mhangeni Pride
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 12:27:51 AM »
Some references to the group from the Londolozi blog.

Aug. 14 The Tsalala Saga - Update.
Video with the unusual sight of lions climbing a tree:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nui11Sx78so" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nui11Sx78so</a>

Aug. 20 The Delightful Mhangeni Pride.

Video from this blog of the lionesses on a zebra kill. The cubs are busy running up and down a branch, frolicking with each other and their Mums.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1rfFMkgTe4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1rfFMkgTe4</a>

Aug. 21 More of Londolozi’s New Favourite Pride.

James Tyrell (photographer and writer of many Londolozi blogs) wrote the following re the pride's name:pride :
Munghen, Mangene, Mangeni… I have seen all these versions of the name of the newly named pride of four lionesses previously known as the Tsalala Breakaway Pride. Anyone who knows me well enough will be well aware of the fact that I am annoyingly pedantic about spelling and grammar, and yes I make mistakes as much as anyone, but this whole new-name-of-the-pride thing has been grating me. I took it to Jeffrey Mhlongo and Mike Sithole, two Shangaan men (the language the pride’s name comes from) and two of Londolozi’s respected trackers, and both agreed that the spelling should be “Mhangeni”, which loosely translated means ‘place of the aloe’.

A wealth of information about the pride and the area they are in. Not to mention some sweet /adorable/ cute photos of the cubs  :heart
Teasers  :eclove

Any place is good for a nap after a meal.

Cub mewls at a lioness for denying it milk.

And - - - - one more when they were seen at Singita crossing the Sand River.   :heart

offtobed
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:06:08 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Lion Prides and Coalitions
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 01:13:57 AM »
F.Y. I.: in all this process I also updated the post about the Manyeleti Males (Young) aka Manyeleti Male Lions of 2008.

All additions completed and links in the second post lead to each group.

Cheers and have good long weekend.  

Ann  :thumbup:

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Collage of photos of 'BB, the older tailless female'
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 07:44:15 PM »
I have found some photos of 'BB' as a reminder of her days with us. They were taken by Adam Bannister, who until a few months ago was with Londolozi Game Reserve.

Before we met BB, and she had an intact tail. A beautiful lioness   :heart.

June 1, 2012 - BB on the left (tailless) walking with her daughter who has a stub where her tail was. Some people refer to her as 'the younger tailless lion'.

Oct. 2012 BB's four daughters. I wonder if the lioness away from the four might have been 'BB' ?

Earlier in 2013 when as Adam wrote 'in happier days, cubs awaiting their grandmother's return'

And, one of the last photos of BB before she died.

'BB' had a very interesting 15 years with all the changes in male dominance in the area. Sad events occurred, which she overcame. A beautiful lion, a very caring mother and grandmother and a great lady. Thank you for sharing your years with us. May you now have the peace you have earned..

:pray