Author Topic: Lion Prides and Coalitions  (Read 71623 times)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
Lion Prides and Coalitions
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »
This topic is set up for images and information of the Lion Prides and Coalitions we have seen in the Djuma area. Where possible we hope to include identifiers.  There aren't too many references which include specific identifying marks.

As we always do on this forum we ask that whenever possible you indicate where and when the images were taken.

We acknowledge and appreciate the work of many people who have set up and made web sites, Facebook pages with game reserve information, and blogs etc. available to the public.  

All images posted in this topic are copyrighted and rights reserved to Djuma Private Game Reserve, Jurie and Pippa Moolman, WildEarth.tv.   Also to the many associated with other game reserves such as Arathusa, Londolozi and others.

Note: April 14, 2012

As of late 2011 the animals now have a much larger conservation area. The reason is that the borders/boundaries have been dropped between the three countries of Botswana, South Africa and Zimbabwe.

A large group of individuals (including Pete Le Roux of Mashatu Game Reserve) all with a major concern for conservation and preservation of African wildlife have spent about 15 years working with the regional and national governments of the countries to bring this about.

The new area is called: The Greater Mapungubwe Transfrontier Conservation Area (South Africa, Zimbabwe, and  Botswana). Commonly referred to as the 'TCA' (Transfrontier Conservation Area).  This video explains more about what has occurred and the benefits of it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-GaAJLTzSg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-GaAJLTzSg</a>

With open borders the animals are free to roam where they wish. While we think of the Styx Pride and the Nkuhumas as usually being seen a lot at Djuma, we know they roam to and from other reserves. Now they can do so with greater ease.  

We have changed the subject of this topic to 'Lion Prides and Coalitions' which will embrace any / all lions seen on any game reserve in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve (comprised of many reserves. See map HERE

Enjoy  :ecsmile
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:40:14 PM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Lion Prides and Coalitions
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:45:01 PM »
References for lions:
1. General:
  • A few years ago WildEarth set up a social page at WE Ning Lion Database. the list shows limited identifying marks.  The lions move from area to area. They also breed with other coalitions or prides.  So it gets somewhat :mconfused    :eclol
    Example:Mapogo Coalition.
  • WildEarth.tv has information about the major animals and specific prides / coalitions that we have seen on the game drives. There is a short history, which for the leopards and lions includes a picture and for most a few words about how to identify them (especially the leopards). Just click on the words 'Read More' in each photo at: Cast of Animals.
    Example: Nkuhuma Pride.
  • If you are a member of Facebook, log in and in the search bar type the name of the lion pride or coalition for which you are seeking information. Many have their own timeline.Example:Majingilane Male Lions.  Some are 'Group' pages and in order to post; you have to tick the 'Like' box just to the right of the title to enable you to post.

2. Specific:The following list is in alphabetical order will take you to individual posts in this topic for the following Lion Prides and Coalitions. The lions we read about on a regular basis are highlighted in maroon. Others who previously played a significant role are highlighted in green.
3. On Facebook there is a group called Lions of Sabi Sands. Under 'Files' look for Prides of the Sabi Sands. The file contains a list of prides and coalitions, with the numbers in each one. As of July 2103 this current.

4. Other game reserves from which we glean most of our information are:

Updated August 17, 2013 / BBE
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:57:08 AM by BBE »
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »
I haven't kept up with the lions. I know some have been identifiable (mohawk, comes to mind), but besides moving around, there are fights between groups and loss of life.  :ecsad
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:49:51 AM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »
Nancy and emc, you've probably seen me typing away here. Yes, the news is true and I have the links set to add here.

I have been procrastinating for a few weeks about bringing my work about the lions of Djuma over here from my other group.

Seeing the news about Mr. T (Tomahawk, Mohawk) has prompted me to do so.  I am posting the history of some of the lion prides and coalitions in the order I wrote them and the Mapogo Coalition is up next.  They were a force to be reckoned with when we first started watching the drives in 2007.   :ecsad

Emc - if you recall the young coalition of Majingilane Lions routed the then older older Mapogos and became the dominant coalition in the Sabi Sands area.  It is sad but true, that the younger male coalitions will find an older (elderly) coalition and attack them in order to become the dominant lions in an area. Then they mate with lionesses from sometimes more than one pride in the area. The Nkuhumas and Styx pride off-spring have 2 or 3 different fathers.

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:33:49 PM »
Routed-meaning chased away, I hope,which is quite preferable.

That may be the time I had to stop following lions closely.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:51:28 AM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Mapogo Coalition
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 09:37:39 PM »
Mapogo Coalition

The Mapogos until a few years ago 'ruled the roost, so to speak. There were six of them and I believe now only 3 or 4 are alive. They were known as the 'bad boys' or 'terrors'. They also mixed and mingled with other lions. For almost two years now we have seldom heard about the remaining brothers.  

In late 2007 (Oct.) when we first started seeing them (with Pieter Pretorius) they were four of the six brothers around Djuma. The other two were usually off elsewhere.   They roamed the Djuma Reserve, and the area containing the Nkorho Pan. As we have learned lions seek to gain control of an area, at all costs. They were apparently ruthless, killing members of prides over which they had no control.  

They were seen mating with the Tsalala Pride, resulting in offspring. Like many of the other coalitions, they originally came from the Eyrefield Pride aka Sparta Pride. There were 6 six of them. They lived vicariously and wreaked some havoc along the way. They mated with the Styx Pride, and we know at least two of the young ones now in the Styx pride were fathered by a Mapogo.

Over the years two were lost to crocodiles. Of the then 4 we more frequently saw 'Mr. T' (so named as his mane resembled that of the 'A Teams' Mr. T.) he was also called 'Tomahawk' or 'Mohawk'.  The other one was named 'Kinky Tail' (for obvious reason).

Jan Harm Robbertse, at that time one of the original crew at Djuma wrote a blog about the brothers at: [url=http://blog.wildearth.tv/2007/10/story-behind-mapogo-males.html]http://blog.wildearth.tv/2007/10/story-behind-mapogo-males.html   [/url]

In early June 2010, there was a new coalition of six young males, who had moved up from Kruger National Park. The Mapogos caught up with two of the 'new boys in town' at Nkorho. One was mortally wounded one, who died later in the day. Nature at its rawest. That night, 'Kinky Tail' confronted the remaining four males. An awful (horrific) fight took place which could be heard on the cam from Nkorho. 'Kinky Tail' was killed by the young males and 'Mr. T' who arrived too late was wounded and chased far away. I will never forget the video posted of what took place that night. These healthy and handsome looking lions were the Majingilane Males and had taken over the territory.  

In late June 2010 the Majingis tracked 'Mr. T' in Londolozi.  He was with the Tsalala pride and their 8 youngsters. Another fight occurred leaving 'Mr. T' running to the West to rejoin his brothers and the Tsalala pride scattered in all directions. Two of the youngsters were later confirmed killed, one male and one female.   Since then we haven't seen or heard too much about the Mapogos.

In March, 2012 word was receved that 'Mr. T' had died.

References:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:30:17 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:56 PM »
March 16, 2012 CAT  ~ Sad News of the Mapogos

It has been widely reported on Facebook that a new male and younger coalition of lions have moved up to Sabi Sands from Kruger National Park.

1. From Greg McCall-Peat (from Hoedspruit)  'Tribute to the Mapogo Coalition.'

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.351369831571415.74287.169427349765665&type=3

At the bottom of the photos Greg wrote:
I will never forget the first time i heard 6 male lions roaring 3m from my gameviewer, These lions were more then legends. I heard today that Mr T has been killed leaving only 2 Mapogo, who were seen running for the hills... i decided it be fitting to do a photgraphic tribute to these magnificent lions who will forever hold a special place in not only my heart, but the hearts of all that set eyes upon them.

2. From Idube Lodge blog [/b] ~ End of an Era

No untoward sights.

http://idubelodge.blogspot.ca/2012/03/end-of-era.html

A very sad day for all in the Sabi Sands area who interacted with the Mapogo Coalition.  We saw them routed by the then younger coalition of the Majingilane Males; and now yet another young coalition has taken 'Mr. T.'  He lived long and somewhat sad life.   :ecsad

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:18:05 PM »
Here is an 8 minute video from Feb. 2009 with Pieter, Lieschen and Herman after an afternoon drive with some of the Mapogo Coalition.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-FfSboXXDI&feature=player_embedded

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-FfSboXXDI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-FfSboXXDI</a>

Offline Tigerlady105

• HEGPS
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 12:29:42 AM »
BBE, thank you for the updates and all the information on the lions.  I'm sorry to see that Mr. T. was killed by the younger males.  Life is so rough in the wild.  I don't want to watch the video, but for the people who want to see it, that will help show what lions can do.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:52:26 AM by BBE »
Commit random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it attached to the rest of the world". ~John Muir

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »
Tiger, the 8 min video just posted by BBE is a pleasant lion encounter if I remember correctly. Just peeked at it now, without seeing the whole video. Saving it for tomorrow :).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:52:39 AM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 12:53:37 AM »
Yes, the video is from early 2009, so a 'General' rating.  Pieter and Lieschen had hoped to see the Mapogos while on a drive (they had just returned to the area); but didn't. Then as they were heading back to camp the lions appeared and the batteries held their charge!

This was filmed about 18 months before the Majingilane Males appeared on the scene.

:offtobed

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
Just watched and thoroughly enjoyed the lions with Pieter and Lieschen.  :eclove. I miss them. So interesting to see the respect between the lions and the vehicles. Lions came soooo close to the vehicle but didn't threaten. The lead lion was very confident. Interestingly it appeared that after drinking the lead lion went toward vehicle and calmly waited for it to back up. ( presumably, because it wasn't said, and we don't have the whole scene, but that is what appears to me. )
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:53:03 AM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 12:58:57 AM »
emc, yes from the time we first started watching the drives, all the assorted team members we got to know had a major respect and love for all the animals we saw.

The only time I really felt concerned for any of the team was when they started the short lived 'WE Walks'. Herman had just started and was on camera. He and Pieter where out in a clearing. Pieter was out of the jigga, and if I recall correctly was lying beside it to get photos of a couple of ellies not too far away.  Suddenly one started to charge them.  You never saw two grown men move so quickly to get behind the jigga. But the elephant stopped.

I should check my DVDs as I am sure I have photos from that day.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 01:09:48 AM »
I do have, but will not post the almost 3 minute video of the four 'Southern or Selati coalition' with Mr. T.  

Remembering how scruffy, but proud he looked when I first saw him in 2000, it was extremely sad to see him minutes away from his demise.  I did close my eyes briefly on two occasions.  I have a feeling (?) that perhaps the video may have been edited somewhat? as he was semi conscious not dead at the end of the 3 minute video.

:ecsad

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 10:39:50 AM »
Pics from the walk and elephant encounter would be nice BBE.  :ecsmile
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:53:39 AM by BBE »
beth
from California