Author Topic: Leopards of Djuma  (Read 42875 times)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: Leopards
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 05:55:46 PM »
RUPERT / BEACON MALE

At the time these pictures were taken, this young male was seen more frequently than the other male leopards at Djuma. He is not afraid to get wet and has been seen on two occasions going after something in the water at one of the dams. He also likes to hang out in a tree.

According to his Facebook page, he was born first quarter 2005 in Buffelshoek and his father is the Jordaan's Male. His sister and litter mate if Inkanyeni previously known as the Young Beacon Female. I have my doubt about this information. I am sure they had the same mother, but I don't think they were 'litter mates.'

1. Beacon Male - 6 Aug 2007

2. Beacon Male - 10 Nov 2007

3. Beacon Male - 10 Nov 2007

4. Beacon Male - 20 Feb 2008

5. Beacon Male - 29 Feb 2008

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)
Avatar is of Karula (female leopard). May 1, 2013

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
INKANYENI / YOUNG BEACON FEMALE

The Young Beacon Female is the younger sister of the Beacon Male who has now been named Rupert. They both come from the north of Djuma. She has previously been confused as one of Karula's girls, Tingana, and there are a lot of similarities. She has now been named Inkanyeni. Her Facebook page says she was born first quarter 2005 in Buffelshoek and her father is the Jordaan's Male. However, she is about the same age as Saseka and Tingana and had been mistaken on numerous occasions for Tingana.

She has a small nick in the top of her left ear. She also has a narrower face than Karula's girls.

February 12, 2008, sighting:

1. Young Beacons Female - 12 Feb 2008

2. Young Beacons Female - 12 Feb 2008

May 4, 2008, sighting:

3. Young Beacon Female - 4 May 2008

4. Young Beacon Female - 4 May 2008

5. Young Beacon Female - 4 May 2008

6. Young Beacon Female - 4 May 2008  

Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced. (Anonymous)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 05:56:39 PM »
MATIMBA

Matimba comes from the south of Djuma. His mother is Safari and Karula is his older sister. He was probably born in the first six months of 2006.

Matimba - 30 June 2008

It has been a long time since we have seen Matimba. We moved to this new forum today (1/18/2010, PST) and Matimba paid us a 'brief' visit as he crossed the road:

Matimba - Jan 19, 2010 CAT, from Slygirl  

Thank you 'Slygirl' for providing us this s'cap of Matimba.

Rexon, who was presenting, said that he is now about 3 1/2 years old.

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 05:57:03 PM »
MVULA

A young leopard in the area who is now competing for his own territory. His name, 'Mvula' means 'rain':

Update: Here is the link to the Facebook fan page for Mvula:
 http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mvula-Mal ... 1715394451
His history has now been confirmed. He was born in 2005 in Lion Sands to the Outcrop Female and sired by Tumbela.

In 2010 he has been seen mating with Saseka (aka Thandi), Karula's daughter.

The latest news on Mvula is that he is hanging out in the Arathusa area and he and Matimba have been having a few confrontations.

22 November 2008 ~ Mvula visited Djuma:

1. Mvula - 22 Nov 2008  

2. Mvula - 22 Nov 2008

3. Mvula - 22 Nov 2008

4. Mvula - 22 Nov 2008

5. Mvula - 22 Nov 2008

6. Mvula - 22 Nov 2008

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
The Mystery Male or 'The Poacher'

This is the male leopard that stole Karula's kill when her cubs, Saseka and Tingana, were still young. Nick and Helen (original members of the WE team) were on the drive and at first Nick thought it was a lion because he was so large. Helen had never seen him either. After checking with other guides, Nick said he had been identified as Tyson and went into a history of how he got his name.

It has since been determined that he is not Tyson. We have never been able to identify him and he was only seen the one time at Djuma. He is included just in case someday he shows up.

The Poacher - 18 July 2007

Offline birdvoyer

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 07:37:17 PM »
Safari's Saseka has a beautiful face. I did not follow the WE drives but was always interested in reading about Karula and her cubs. Karula, the Diva huh?   :ecwink
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:02:03 PM by BBE »

Offline emc

• HEG
  • Friend of HEGPS
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
Yep, The Diva. Beautiful,and she would saunter along with the vehicle when she wanted. Really special leopard to all who have seen her.  :eclove
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:02:16 PM by BBE »
beth
from California

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 11:45:42 PM »
Karula is a beautiful female leopard, and a caring and living mother of six children.   When leopards give birth they always move the cubs from one secure location to another for 1 - 3 months.  This is to protect them from adult male leopards and also male lions who have been known to eat the young.

While the drive presenters / guides may see the female and her cubs on their route, they never stopped to show them to us.  They always respect the animals and let them make the decision as to when they will present the cubs to a drive.

A emc said Karula
would saunter along with the vehicle when she wanted.
She loved to have her photo taken and show off with / without her cubs when a drive occurred.  I vividly recall a drive when Pieter was still at WE, watching a drive when she nonchalanstrolledlled out of the bush, onto the road and laid down on the road.  :biggrin3
She really felt secure and safe with all who drove the 'jigga' and then the 'ganda'.  The guides, presenters, camera person never threatened any of the animals we saw.  And for those of you who don't know this, the aforementioned people on Djuma (and most of the other game reserves in Sabi Sands) never carry a gun.

Indeed, we were extremely privileged to view the mammals we did.   :wub  :bow  :ty to all there who made the drives what they were.

Offline dizzymom70

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 12:01:55 AM »
Ahhh...Karula. I sure miss her, BBE. :sad
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:01:33 PM by BBE »

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »
Hi Dizzy, nice to see you. I hope you are doing OK?  

Like you I miss her too. We were lucky we were able to see Xivindzi and Xivambalana as long as we did.  Karula has been sighted recently and I am going to find the pictures and post them.

:ecsmile

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY KARULA
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »
KARULA ~ HAPPY 8TH BIRTHDAY

March 15, 2004.   A wonderful Mother to three sets of twins, the first being born in 2007, and the last set in 2011.   May she live many more years.

:wub

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
March 18, 2012

Guess who was seen at Arathusa (a few days ago), having caught a Crested Francolin?    La Diva Karula., who looks as beautiful as ever.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M049Z_x59ew" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M049Z_x59ew</a>

Do you remember when Induna (I think it was him) was learning to hunt and caught and played with a francolin and had feathers all over his face ?   :eclol

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 11:37:12 PM »
On April 13, 2012 a new blog was posted on the Djuma Private Game Reserve site. A Guide to Identifying Some Of The Leopards of Djuma.

Along with 'CJ's' photos and information here in Replies 1 - 19 inclusive, this guide created by "Lyn, a long-time supporter of Djuma and its live cameras", provides more information about and identifiers for the leopards. 

Thanks again to 'CJ' and to Lyn as well.  :ty

Offline luvthebirds

• HEGPS
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »
BBE, thank you so much!  :eclove

I miss the drives so much, and a little glimpse of Karula makes my day!  :heart

Thank you for putting so much work into the Africa topics.  It is so nice to come back to all the old posts/blogs/video when I need a safari/Karula fix.  :ty

Yes, I remember Induna with a francolin (and Mixo with his tortoises!).  Now we know where he got the idea!
Nurture yourself with Nature - luvthebirds
(and don't forget to screep for what you need)

Offline BBE

• HEG
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 01:06:30 AM »
Great to see you here Luv. Thanks for coming by and for your comments, which we appreciate.

:flower