Author Topic: Bald Eagle nest cam: Sooner Lake , Oklahoma  (Read 38716 times)

Offline MaggiesMom

Re: Bald Eagle nest cam: Sooner Lake , Oklahoma
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2013, 06:51:35 AM »
This is a link to a news story from Friday about Sutton and the Sooner Lake nest with 4 eggs.  http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?S=21559379

I do wish the biologist at Sutton wouldn't keep talking about siblicide.  Have we seen this happen on any of these cams in the past few years?  Many accidents, but no let murders that I am aware of!
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
People in the Sutton chat and elsewhere have mentioned their concerns about how 4 eaglets will cope in this tower nest.  GMSARC (Sutton mgmt) just posted a group of photos on their Facebook page showing the rebuilding of the lake tower nest in 2011.  It gives you a much better sense of how big the nest is - to see a fully grown man standing in it!  It also gives you a sense of how huge Mrs. Sooner aka Ethel must be - as she absolutely fills it!  Fred/Dad is significantly smaller.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.516845341699418.1073741825.113307568719866
"If you slow things down, you notice things you hadn't seen before." - Robert Wilson, director, author, videographer

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2013, 06:46:50 AM »
Here's a piece of historical reference - a video from 2008 showing the eagles in the tower nest.  The commentary on the YouTube page says this pair is know to have nested starting in 1995.  As of 2008 they had fledged 22 eaglets with three fledglings in both 2000 and 2002.  Three eggs hatched in 2007 but only two fledged.

http://youtu.be/dwf9oUKvwFU

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2013, 07:32:40 AM »
and now to catch up with current events!

Ten days before hatch - really none of us had any idea when hatch would come since there were four eggs sitting in the nest when the cam was turned on on 2/28/13.

One eagle in the nest, one on the crossbar.

Then the one on the crossbar went down to the nest and the one in the nest flew up to the crossbar - I think!

Eight days later:  Mom was very very restless.  I kept thinking she was hearing peeps from under her.  Some people swore they saw pips but I never did.

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2013, 07:54:18 AM »
Then the big day cometh!  First clue when I logged on in the morning was...what were those things over on the right side of the nest? Oh wow! that looks like a shell!  We must have an eaglet!

"Well, dear, it looks like we've done it again.  There goes our peace and quiet!"

First glimpse of fluff under there! 

Then total shock!  There are two!

And now the scramble begins - feeding, feeding, feeding.  I must have seen five tries at feeding during the day and missed one or two more.  It took them a while to get the hang of it, but they did!

The proud parents just before dark:

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2013, 08:31:15 AM »
And here's a short video by Priscillash of the hatch of the "twins"

http://youtu.be/tNZToGRMTo4

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2013, 09:05:06 AM »
The "twins" are one day old today.  No way of knowing who is the older.

The first view of the "twin" lets and Mom at sunrise.

And the second view is the "twins" alone in the nest.

Then Dad came back to the nest (I think it's Dad anyway.)

This was followed in the middle of the day by a huge ruckus.  There must have been something in the area that made the parents very uncomfortable.

Parents flew off nest.  Chase?  Maybe!

One minute later one was back and admiring their little family.

Ten minutes later both were in the nest.  And Mom was saying, "you're crowding me Dad!"

Little lets are thinking, "OOH! Mom is B I G!"

The rest of the day was devoted to feeding after feeding:

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »
Report for Thursday, March 21:  Third Let Hatches!!!

Woke up early and it was dark at Sooner Lake so no clue what had happened overnight.  Got into the office early and, to my surprise, it appeared the nest had changed:

When Mom left the nest for a bit it became easier to see:  Yes, there are three!

#3 was a little slow in starting to eat but got the hang of it pretty quickly.  And there seems to be little pecking going on - everyone has been getting food at every meal.

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2013, 05:01:50 AM »
And then Dad brought in an enormous fish - which someone in chat at Sutton identified as a drum.

In the absence of sufficiently high stick railings, will fish work?

Ma Ethel decided some housekeeping was in order.  She spent a while delicately removing eggshell from the nest bowl.

Then there were more feedings:

Offline MaggiesMom

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2013, 05:03:47 AM »
Look at the size of that fish!

Then I don't know when this happened - but now there are two fish! Looking back it appears to have arrived about the time Ethel decided housekeeping was needed.

Last view of the happy threesome before I shut down for the night:

Offline typoscount2

• HEGPS
  • Forum Guide
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »
maggiesmom, thanks for  the screen caps and the updates,  i hope these eagles have a good nesting season
and i will watch for your updates  :ecsmile
I have been typoscount2  & nsbirder then Non4now, but no more,
onward to       ImpInNS
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hornby-Eagle-Group-Projects-Society/292341380792123

Offline NancyM

• HEGPS
  • Administrator
    • My Flickr picture albums
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2013, 10:49:10 PM »
Maggies, I have peeked in every now and then on this nest (I wondered if all 4 eggs would hatch .... ). The nest looks so small! I do hope that the three chicks will do well.  Many thanks for keeping us up to date on this nest.